Mavis Staples – Live in London
Format: CD – LP – Digital / Label: ANTI- Records
Releasedatum: 8 februari 2019
Tekst: Iain Patience
It pretty much goes without saying that any new release from the legendary Chicago gospel-blues Diva Mavis Staples is more than welcome. With ‘Live in London’, Staples delivers another wonderful album, full-on, soaring and searing vocals supported by an excellent crew of backing musicians and an explosive delivery that is nothing less than genuinely joyous.
From the opening track to the close of business, this album zings and buzzes; echoes of old-school, store-front church gospel and powerful blues tumble from the release with an abundant feeling of sheer pleasure and joy always to the fore. There seems absolutely no doubt that Staples and her band are having a great time here, playing to an adoring audience with more than just a touch of class and quality.
Anyone who has caught Staples live in recent years will already know just what this lady is capable of delivering, taking a stage by storm and singing with a voice that simply belies her age and never dims or falters. With Live in London, we have Mavis Staples working at the very top of her game, pushing out memorable music with a huge voice and a spirited and spiritual strength that seems to know absolutely no bounds. Long may it continue, say I. This is a wonderful release that really should be in any gospel-blues lover’s collection for sure.
01. Love and Trust (Written by Ben Harper)
02. Who Told You That (Written by Jeff Tweedy)
03. Slippery People (Written by Talking Heads)
04. What You Gonna Do – Intro
05. What You Gonna Do (Written by Pops Staples)
06. Take Us Back (Written by Benjamin Booker)
07. You Are Not Alone (Written by Jeff Tweedy)
08. No Time For Cryin’ (Written by Jeff Tweedy and Mavis Staples)
09. Can You Get to That (Written by George Clinton and Ernie Harris)
10. Let’s Do It Again (Written by Curtis Mayfield)
11. Dedicated (Written by Justin Vernon and Matthew Ward)
12. We’re Gonna Make It (Written by Gene Barge, Billy Davis, Raynard Miner and Carl William Smith)
13. Encore: Happy Birthday
14. Touch A Hand (Written by Homer Banks, Carl Hampton and Raymond Jackson)
Website: Mavis Staples
27.06 – Carré, Amsterdam
28.06 – Openluchttheater Rivierenhof, Deurne (B) (Mavis Staples en Roland van Campenhout)