BOOTLEG VOL. IV: THE SOUL OF TRUTH
2CDs – 51 Songs – 15 Previously Unreleased
An intimate look at Cash’s passion for gospel and his own spiritual path
If not for gospel music, there never would have been a Johnny Cash. When Cash decided he wanted to be an entertainer, there was really only one type of music he intended to sing. Although Cash reinvented himself many times during his life, there was one way in which he never did: His faith. And this faith, with its roots so firmly planted in gospel music, stayed with him throughout his life.
Bootleg Vol. IV: The Soul Of Truth presents an intimate and personal look at Cash’s passion for gospel music and his own spiritual path. Bootleg Vol. IV presents three rare albums in their entirety: A Believer Sings The Truth; an untitled, unreleased 1975 set; and Johnny Cash—Gospel Singer. Among these hard-to-find recordings are 15 unreleased tracks including outtakes from the sessions at which the albums were recorded.
Johnny Cash’s son, John Carter Cash, provides liner notes that detail Cash’s upbringing on gospel and his passion for recording and performing this music despite resistance from his record labels. Though he would sing many kinds of music in his life, he was never truer than when he sang songs of faith.
To fully grasp Cash’s legend, one must hear his earliest performances, as well as unreleased or under-promoted recordings that somehow remained out of earshot of an adoring (and still-expanding) public. Such is the mission of the Johnny Cash Bootlegs, a series of multiple-disc packages brimming with historical importance but also delivering thoroughly enjoyable listening experiences, each programmed to stand as a captivating doorway into Cash’s popular legacy as effectively as any greatest hits compilation.
Disc One – Selections:
1. Wings In The Morning
2. Gospel Boogie (A Wonderful Time Up There)
3. Over The Next Hill (We’ll Be Home) (with Anita Carter)
4. He’s Alive (with June Carter Cash)
5. I’ve Got Jesus In My Soul
6. When He Comes (with Rosanne Cash)
7. I Was There When It Happened (with Marshall Grant)
8. I’m A New Born Man
9. Strange Things Happening Every Day
10. Children Go Where I Send Thee
11. I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal
12. Lay Me Down In Dixie (with Cindy Cash)
13. Don’t Take Everybody To Be Your Friend
14. You’ll Get Yours And I’ll Get Mine (with Rodney Crowell)
15. Oh Come, Angel Band
16. This Train Is Bound For Glory (with June Carter Cash)
17. I’m Gonna Try To Be That Way (with Jan Howard)
18. What On Earth Will You Do (For Heaven’s Sake)
19. That’s Enough
20. The Greatest Cowboy Of Them All (with Jack Routh)
21. Didn’t It Rain
22. He Touched Me (with Rodney Crowell)
23. Way Worn Traveler (with Helen Carter)
24. I’ll Have A New Life (with June Carter Cash)
25. Truth (previously unreleased). (All tracks recorded January 1979, in Nashville; except tracks 7,11,18 recorded May 1979, in Hendersonville, TN.)
Notes: Disc One produced by Jack Clement and Jack Routh. Tracks 1-20 released as A Believer Sings The Truth (Cachet CL3-9001), 1979.
Tracks 1-4, 6, 10, 11, 15, 18, 20 also released as A Believer Sings The Truth (Priority 38074), 1982.
Tracks 21-24 released on I Believe… (Arrival 3870), 1984.
Disc Two – Selections:
1. Back In The Fold
2. Look Unto The East
3. I Was There When It Happened
5. Would You Recognize Jesus
6. That’s Just Like Jesus
7. What On Earth Will You Do (For Heaven’s Sake)
8. Keep Me From Blowing Away
9. Don’t Give Up On Me
10. Over The Next Hill (We’ll Be Home)
11. Far Side Banks Of Jordan (duet with June Carter Cash)
12. Our Little Old Home Town
14. My Children Walk In Truth
15. The Old Rugged Cross (duet with Jessi Colter)
16. One Of These Days I’m Gonna Sit Down And Talk To Paul
17. God Ain’t No Stained Glass Window
18. Half A Mile A Day
19. Another Wide River To Cross
20. You’re Drifting Away
21. Believe In Him
22. Over There
23. Gospel Road
24. What Is Man
25. Wildwood In The Pines
26. Never Grow Old (Tracks 1-12 recorded October, December 1975, in Hendersonville, TN; tracks 13-26 recorded May, August, September, October, December 1982, in Nashville.)
Disc Two produced by Charlie Bragg (tracks 1-12 ) and Marty Stuart (tracks 13-26).
Tracks 1-12, previously unreleased unnamed album (except track 4, previously released as a bonus track on the album Ultimate Gospel (Columbia/Legacy 88697 05838 2) 2007; and track 8, previously released on the album The Great Seventies Recordings (Reader’s Digest A764438), 2010.
Tracks 13-22, from the withdrawn-from-release album Johnny Cash—Gospel Singer (Priority 38503) 1983, subsequently released as Believe In Him (Word 47828), 1986, in a different sequence.
Tracks 23-26, previously unreleased outtakes from sessions for the album Johnny Cash—Gospel Singer.