After being covered by big name artists like Bon Iver and Adele in 2011, blues icon and 9-time Grammy-winner Bonnie Raitt is ready for her comeback.
Bonnie Raitt’s new album Slipstream is daring, bluesy, and steeped with the inimitable slide guitar and soulful vocals that could only be hers. Out April 10, 2012, Slipstream marks her first new album in seven years, and the debut for her newly-minted label, Redwing Records.
While most of ‘Slipstream’ is self-produced and features Raitt’s longtime touring band, four of the album’s songs were helmed by celebrated producer Joe Henry (Allen Toussaint, Solomon Burke) and showcase his usual crew of extraordinary musicians. Additional guests include Bill Frisell, Al Anderson (formerly of NRBQ), Ireland’s Paul Brady, and Maia Sharp.
The album’s twelve tracks feature Raitt’s renditions of songs by such luminaries as Bob Dylan, Joe Henry, and Loudon Wainwright III. An updated, reggae-fied version of Gerry Rafferty’s “Right Down the Line” leads the charge as the album’s first single.
“I’m so inspired and so proud to continue these traditions, whether it’s reggae or soul or blues,” says Raitt of the new album. “I’m in the slipstream of those who came before me, and I’m leaving one for those behind me.”
Bonnie Raitt – Slipstream
Format: CD / Label:Redwing Records / Release: 10 April 2012
1. Used To Rule The World (Randall Bramblett)
2. Right Down The Line (Gerry Rafferty)
3. Million Miles (Bob Dylan)
4. You Can’t Fail Me Now (Joseph Lee Henry/Loudon Wainwright III)
5. Down To You (George Marinelli/Bonnie Raitt/Randall Bramblett)
6. Take My Love With You (Gordon Kennedy/Wayne Kirkpatrick/Kelly Price)
7. Not Cause I Wanted To (Al Anderson/Bonnie Bishop)
8. Ain’t Gonna Let You Go (Al Anderson/Bonnie Bramlett)
9. Marriage Made in Hollywood (Paul Brady/Michael O’Keefe)
10. Split Decision (Al Anderson/Gary Nicholson)
11. Standing in the Doorway (Bob Dylan)
12. God Only Knows (Joseph Lee Henry)
Source: JamBase / www.bonnieraitt.com